The key to social media success is engagement. But creating engagement sounds a lot easier than it really is. At ACTIVE World 2013, Henry and I had the opportunity to sit at a round-table discussion with a great group of our clients to discuss different marketing strategies that have or have not been working for organizations. Social media engagement, or maybe the lack thereof, was a hot topic.
So we had an idea. Here is a fun way to use your cover photos to create engagement on your Facebook page and encourage community participation:
Host a Monthly Facebook Cover Photo Contest
- Create a Facebook Photo Post mentioning the monthly cover photo contest & the following key points
- Upload this photo contest image
- Ask people to submit photos directly to the Facebook page or via email
- Winners will be chosen at random and featured for a one month period
- Mention dimensions of Cover Photo (851 X 315PX)
Example Post Content
“Submit a photo of a local park, recreation facility or landmark for a chance to have your photo selected as our Facebook Cover Photo for one month! Entries can be submitted by uploading to our Facebook Page or emailing email@example.com . Ideal dimensions for cover photos are 851 X 315px. Winners will be selected at random each month. Good luck :)”
- Pin the post to the top of your page for 7 days – Hover over the post, click the pencil icon and select “pin to top”
- Create email blast announcing your Facebook Photo Contest – this will encourage participation from those that already like your Facebook page and potentially draw new Facebook likes from your list.
- Once you have selected a winner, upload their photo as your new cover photo, give the winner credit in the caption and ask them to tag themselves in the photo
- Repeat this process every month
Give it a shot and let us know if this method helped drive engagement on your Facebook page.