ACTIVE Kids has a huge stable of resources for parents, from tips to staying active as a family to healthy recipes. It’s also a great place to go for things to do while the family is stuck at home, away from work and school. Continue reading for advice, tips and ideas for filling your kids’ day with educational yet fun things to do while they’re away from school, and be sure to share with your program's parents!
If your kids are home but their school has not implemented remote learning, or if their extracurricular programs have been canceled, there are a number of projects you can do from the comfort of your own home—many of which use supplies you likely already have around your house.
It’s important to create consistency with reading to help foster a love for books and continued development in your child’s skills. ACTIVE Kids has a number of book recommendation articles on a wide variety of subjects, from books about sports to ones about Women’s History Month.
- Teacher-Approved Kids Books and Series
- Kids Books for Sports Lovers
- 10 Must-Read Books for Active Kids
- Kids Books for Women’s History Month
- The 7 Best Adventure Books for Kids
- 13 Books Every Child Should Read
- 14 Inspirational Books for Young Athletes
It can’t be all school and learning all the time when it comes to entertaining your kids at home. The following articles provide ideas for entertaining your kids indoors, just like you might on an ordinary rainy day or when school is cancelled because of snow.
- Rainy Day Games to Boost Your Child’s Imagination
- Active Indoor Activities
- Family-Friendly Games for the Great Indoors
Just because you can’t take the kids to their weekly sports practice or to the localYMCA doesn’t mean you can’t get in a little exercise. There are a number of at-home exercises, cardio sets and workouts the whole family will enjoy working up a sweat to.
- The Best At-Home Strength Exercises for Busy Parents
- The 5 Best At-Home Workout DVDs
- Challenging, At-Home Workouts You Can Do With Limited Equipment
- Turn Your Home Into a Gym: At-Home Workout With Household Items
- Heart Healthy Workout for the Whole Family
- Quick Backyard Workout for the Whole Family
- The Anytime, Anywhere Workout For Busy Parents